Prospecting — that is, the process of searching for potential clients for your product or service who are most likely to go further down your sales funnel and convert into actual customers — is a vital step in any sales strategy.
Without it, you’d be left wandering in the dark, randomly reaching out to vast numbers of people and hoping to strike gold with at least some of them.
That scenario could only result in your time and money going down the drain before you know it.
So, being spot-on in identifying potential customers can significantly improve your chances of closing more deals.
However, prospecting is anything but easy.
No matter what channel you use for finding and reaching out to prospects, you’ll probably have to sift through millions of people. And all that just to find the select few who need precisely what you offer.
It’s no wonder that 54% of sales reps say prospecting is harder than it was five years ago. In fact, top sales reps spend an average of at least 6 hours each week just researching their prospect pool.
That’s why you’ll need some help to narrow down your search and speed up the entire process.
Enter sales prospecting tools.
Why use sales prospecting tools?
Sales prospecting tools are, simply put, software solutions designed to give you a much-needed hand with:
- Finding and identifying the people who match your Ideal Customer Profile (ICP).
- Qualifying and sorting prospects by priority based on the likelihood of converting them.
- Reaching out to them, gaining their trust, and building rapport is something that will eventually result in more closed deals.
Since there are tons of different tools out there, we have decided to make finding the best sales prospecting tool for your needs somewhat easier:
We have personally tried out quite a few tools to find out what they have to offer firsthand.
So, in this article, we’ll review the 15 best sales prospecting tools to ensure everyone can find something that fits like a glove.
Here’s what we’ll cover in detail:
- Social media prospecting tools focus on social networks for prospecting. They include:
- Expandi — the best solution for LinkedIn outreach. Its bulletproof safety features, powerful automation options, and multichannel approach will get you hundreds of prospects each month.
- Leadjet — a tool that enables syncing LinkedIn with your CRM of choice.
- Skrapp — a tool that scrapes email addresses primarily from LinkedIn profiles (but it can be used on company profiles as well).
- FollowerWonk — a tool that provides comprehensive Twitter analytics to help users pinpoint highly-targeted prospects.
- Phantombuster — a tool that enables automating prospecting and outreach on a wide range of platforms, from LinkedIn to Reddit, in addition to scraping capabilities.
- Traditional sales prospecting tools provide prospect sorting and management capabilities to their users. These tools include:
- ZoomInfo — a rich B2B prospect database that can recognize buyer intent signals and notify users in real time.
- Crystal — a tool that uses its personality assessment AI to draft prospects’ DISC profiles. These can help users create a more personalized outreach strategy for each prospect.
- Website-focused tools can identify website visitors and provide more detailed insights into them. The best tools in this category are:
- Snitcher — a tool that identifies website visitors and enables real-time website personalization for each prospect.
- Leadfeeder — a tool that can score and sort your prospects by priority in addition to tracking website visitors.
- B2B sales prospecting tools are more or less large databases of vital B2B contact information. Such tools include:
- Cognism — a tool with a focus on providing verified phone numbers.
- Mattermark — a tool designed primarily for specific company types, such as private venture, equity, and similar businesses, that have a high frequency of data updates.
- Email-focused tools find and verify the email addresses of any prospect you need. These tools include:
- Findthat.email — a simple and robust platform that finds and verifies emails at an affordable price.
- Voila Norbert — a tool that has data enrichment options in addition to standard email finding and verification capabilities.
- Google Chrome extensions are sales prospecting tools of an older iteration. As such, they are less advanced and unsafe when it comes to LinkedIn in particular. They include:
- AeroLeads — a tool that can find prospects’ emails on-site, thanks to its browser extensions.
- Overloop — a tool that finds email addresses and also offers very basic LinkedIn and email automation options.
Social media prospecting tools
As their name suggests, these sales prospecting tools treat various social media (e.g., LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) as their main prospecting pool.
Social media can be an absolute gold mine of prospecting opportunities because that’s where people freely share lots of their personal and business information with the world.
Moreover, it’s much easier to reach out to someone via social media than any other channel, as their primary purpose is precisely networking and communication.
Here are our reviews of five social media sales prospecting tools:
Expandi is a cloud-based LinkedIn automation tool with a twist: it combines LinkedIn with cold email outreach for optimal results.
However, since Expandi’s primary focus is, after all, on LinkedIn, we’ve decided to put it in the social media prospecting tools category.
With an average rating of 4.6 on Capterra, it seems that Expandi easily thrills users of various types and needs thanks to its numerous functions.
- Provides each user with a dedicated IP address to minimize the risk of LinkedIn detecting suspicious activity.
- Easily mimics human behavior. Some of the things Expandi does to achieve this include:
- Adding delays between various actions
- Gradually warming up new or previously inactive LinkedIn profiles
- Automatically withdrawing pending requests
- Setting up smart limits that prevent users from sending more than 100 invites and 100 messages per day. LinkedIn limits users to 80–100 connection requests per week and 250 actions per day.
- Scraping features. Expandi can easily scrape entire LinkedIn groups, events, posts, and your profile viewers to find highly-targeted prospects.
- Smart sequences that allow you to automate every step of the prospecting and outreach process.
- Resources to help you get the most from Expandi. This includes a video blog, the Top 10 Templates eBook, the 1000+ Event Attendees eBook, the Triple Your Leads on LinkedIn eBook, and the LinkedIn Outreach Academy.
- Options for creating email drip campaigns.
- Hyper-personalization of each message and connection request you send. Expandi has advanced capabilities for creating relevant, custom-tailored images and GIFs for each prospect.
- Allows multiple profile management from a single dashboard. This is the feature that agencies and sales teams will particularly appreciate.
- Provides comprehensive analytics reports
Expandi has a single plan at $99 per month. This package includes the tool’s entire set of features.
Expandi also has a 7-day free trial for prospective users to get the hang of its numerous capabilities.
- Bulletproof safety
- Multichannel approach. With Expandi, you get an all-in-one tool instead of being forced to use (and pay for) several different platforms
- Various scraping capabilities
- Several clever ways of bypassing LinkedIn limits while keeping you on the safe side
- Hyper-personalization of each step of your sales process
- Versatile use cases — anyone from individual users to agencies and everyone in between can benefit from using Expandi
- Can be white-labeled
- Has just one pricing plan. However, given that you get access to all of Expandi’s features at a reasonable price, it’s fair to say that Expandi provides excellent value for money.
Interested to see how Expandi can take your prospecting to the next level? Sign up for a free 7-day trial and find out.
Leadjet is a sales prospecting tool that enables syncing LinkedIn with your CRM.
That way, you’ll have all the relevant information about leads, prospects, and customers in one place for an accessible overview.
It has a rating of 5 on Capterra, but it should be noted that it’s currently based on a single review.
- Connects LinkedIn with several CRM platforms (HubSpot, Salesforce, Pipedrive, and Copper). This enables users to directly import prospect-related data from LinkedIn to their CRM of choice.
- Has options for data enrichment. However, it’s not a native functionality. Leadjet can only find and scrape data through an integration with DropContact.
- Syncs LinkedIn messages to CRMs, ensuring that all your data is up-to-date and can be accessed directly from your CRM.
Leadjet has one free plan and three paid pricing plans. Paid plans start at $20 per month.
There’s also a 14-day free trial.
- Has a free forever plan that includes the most basic features
- Simplifies sorting and qualifying new leads, prospects, and clients by automatically syncing data from LinkedIn with CRM platforms
- It’s a Chrome extension, so it’s not as safe as tools like Expandi
- Its data enrichment option isn’t spot-on accurate, as the gathered data is often wrong or mismatched
- You can’t integrate Leadjet with more than one CRM at a time
Skrapp is an email scraping tool that can find, extract, and verify email addresses from LinkedIn and company websites.
It has an average rating of 4.6 on Capterra.
- Finds business email addresses on LinkedIn, as well as on company websites
- Verifies the emails it extracts to provide the most accurate data
- Has an online company directory and bulk email finder. To access it, you have to create a free Skrapp account
Skrapp has four pricing plans, starting at $49 per month.
There is no free trial, but you can try out some of Skrapp’s email-finding features on its website. To access them, however, you’ll have to register first.
- It’s fairly simple to use
- The data it collects is pretty accurate, thanks to its email verifier
- You can easily export scraped email addresses to your CRM or save and download them in the form of lists
- It’s very basic — it can do nothing more than scrape email addresses
- It’s a Chrome extension, meaning it’s potentially unsafe and can cause LinkedIn to lag
The previous prospecting tools we reviewed were primarily LinkedIn-oriented. FollowerWonk is different, as it uses Twitter for prospecting and lead generation.
Using it lets you get quick insights into your Twitter following, compare different profiles, see who your top followers are, and assess your performance.
FollowerWonk has an average rating of 4.8 on Capterra based on four customer reviews.
- Enables you to search Twitter profiles and bios by keyword (e.g., “journalists”, “thought-leaders”, “scientists”, etc.)
- Provides detailed analytics on any Twitter profile and can compare up to three profiles’ social graphs at once
- Shows vital stats on the fluctuations in your number of followers over a specified period
- Has options for sorting followers based on various filters
FollowerWonk has a free forever plan, so it qualifies as a free sales prospecting tool.
However, this package has only the most basic of options. It completely omits analytics and significantly limits the number of searches you can conduct daily and the number of results you’ll get.
FollowerWonk’s paid plans have more functionality, and they start at $29 per month.
- Its detailed reports and social graphs help with various aspects of prospecting and lead generation (e.g., determining your ICP based on the type of Twitter profiles that follow you or reaching more people by learning when your followers are most active)
- It’s easy to use
- Its sorting features are handy for segmenting prospects and leads
- It is designed for Twitter alone, so it can’t do anything but provide Twitter analytics
- Its interface is outdated
- It can’t compare more than three profiles simultaneously
Phantombuster is an excellent tool for automating a wide range of activities on virtually any web platform, from LinkedIn and LinkedIn Sales Navigator to Facebook and Reddit.
It has an average rating of 4.7 on Capterra.
- It can automate whole sequences of actions on various marketing channels
- It has data-scraping capabilities
Phantombuster has three pricing plans, starting at $59 per month.
There’s also a 14-day free trial.
- It’s cloud-based, so your device won’t have to be turned on for Phantombuster to run your campaigns and sequences
- It has solutions for automating a vast number of platforms
- It can be used for scraping data
- There are no options for working around the LinkedIn weekly connection request limits. So you can’t send more than 100 connection requests per week.
- Safety on LinkedIn can be an issue because Phantombuster asks for access to your cookies to log into LinkedIn as you. A Chrome extension for Phantombuster must be downloaded to achieve that.
- Phantombuster performs actions during a limited number of hours per day and only offers limited activity slots. This isn’t ideal for many people, as these slots may not align with your time zone.
Traditional sales prospecting tools
Traditional prospecting tools try to pinpoint your target market using the same methods of prospecting and lead generation that were successfully used way before the digital era.
As such, they focus firmly on the traditional CRM approach, meaning that their strong points are prospect segmenting, managing, and sorting.
Here are our reviews of two of these tools:
ZoomInfo is a larger suite of sales and marketing-related software products. It has solutions for various data operations, talent seeking, and recruiting as well.
Here, we’ll focus on ZoomInfo SalesOS. It has an average rating of 4.3 on Capterra.
- Has a rich B2B prospect database, including info on individuals and companies alike
- ZoomInfo Intent helps you pinpoint potential buyers based on the topics and keywords they research
- Has options for identifying your website visitors and recognizing visitors whose businesses and interests match your ICP
- Allows setting up workflows that will commence when a specified action occurs (for example, when it recognizes a particular score that indicates a buyer’s intent)
As seen in the image below, ZoomInfo does not publish its pricing information.
There are three plans, but only the most expensive one includes all of ZoomInfo’s best features.
ZoomInfo has a free trial for its lowest-tiered plan. Though unfortunately, we can’t tell you how long the trial period lasts because there’s no precise information on that either.
- Its massive B2B database includes a lot of crucial information on companies and professionals — from their contact info to job roles, working experience, links to social media profiles, etc.
- It is easy to navigate
- Buyer intent recognition and adjustable workflows can help with getting more new leads and prospects into your sales pipeline
- There may be some issues with data accuracy because ZoomInfo only updates its information every six months. Lots of things can change over that period
- Most information is from U.S. data on companies and individuals. Data from other regions is often lacking
- More than one user has complained about ZoomInfo’s high price
Crystal is a sales prospecting tool with cutting-edge AI that provides users with detailed DISC personality profiles for prospects, leads, clients, potential employees, etc.
The acronym DISC stands for:
DISC personality assessments can be helpful when reaching out to a prospect, as they’ll give you a decent idea of how to approach them.
It can be used across LinkedIn, HubSpot, and Salesforce.
- Drafts DISC personality profiles of your prospects based on the data it finds on their LinkedIn profiles
- Delivers insightful reports on prospects’ traits (e.g., a prospect’s expected behavior in a particular set of circumstances, their preferred communication styles, probable emotional responses, etc.). These influence your chances of successfully converting them
Crystal doesn’t disclose its official pricing on its website.
However, we do know that there are three plans.
There’s also a free trial that includes different things for each plan:
- The Sales Premium plan comes with ten free views
- The Teams Premium plan comes with your individual DISC personality type
- The Hiring Premium plan comes with one free job with sample candidates
- It’s easy to use. After you’ve enabled the Crystal browser extension, you’ll get an instant on-page report of a person’s DISC assessment once you enter their LinkedIn profile
- Helps with drafting custom-tailored offers for every prospect. Crystal achieves this by delivering priceless insights into prospects’ strongest personality traits and predicting their emotional responses and buying preferences
- It’s a browser extension, so using it can be a security risk
- Has a significant margin of error because it bases its predictions and assessments solely on the info your prospects have chosen to share on their LinkedIn profiles
Website-focused sales prospecting tools
These sales prospecting tools help you find potential prospects by tracking and identifying your website visitors.
In addition, these tools generally provide more detailed information on your website visitors, such as their company name, location, exact pages they visited on your site, and how long they stayed there.
The idea behind this approach is that if a person visits your website, the chances that they are interested in purchasing what you have to offer are medium to high.
Here are our reviews of two of these tools:
Snitcher is a sales prospecting tool that captures and analyzes the info on every visitor your website gets.
It also allows real-time website personalization (such as mentioning a prospect’s company name or optimizing ads for their industry), so that every prospect will feel special and valued.
It has an average rating of 4.3 on Capterra.
- Gathers real-time info about every website visitor you get, including their company, industry, and location. It even pinpoints what they’re looking for on your site
- Enables instant website personalization based on real-time insights into all the valuable information (e.g., lead’s company name, first-time and recurring visitors, browser and device preferences, etc.). That way, you can tailor each prospect’s experience with your site
Snitcher offers many pricing plans that are based on how many unique website visitors they capture for you in a month. Each plan includes all of Snitcher’s functionality.
This makes Snitcher a very flexible solution that can fit virtually any budget.
It also has a 14-day free trial.
- Has lots of different pricing plans, so it’s easy to adjust to your needs and budget
- Helps you provide each prospect with a highly-personalized website experience
- It can’t identify different visitors coming from the same company, meaning you won’t be able to personalize your offer and website according to their specific job role, position, etc.
- It glitches if your website has more than several thousand visitors because it can’t store information on that many new leads
- Its notifications, which are supposed to be real-time, can sometimes be a little slow
Leadfeeder is a tool that jumpstarts your sales prospecting by effectively identifying companies that visit your website.
Leedfeeder is more precise than most similar software as it automatically eliminates bots, ISPs, and other traffic that has no value for you.
It has an average customer rating of 4.2 on Capterra.
- Identifies companies that visit your website. This includes their remote employees and team members, thanks to its advanced IP-recognition AI
- Automatically segments and sorts leads by priority and the levels of interest they’ve shown based on their on-site activity and behavior
- Has a robust B2B database that helps you quickly find and identify the decision-makers you need from each company
Although Leadfeeder has a free-forever plan, it omits lots of Leedfeeder’s vital functions.
If you choose the Lite plan, you’ll only have access to website visitors from the last seven days, and you will only get information on 100 leads in total.
The paid-for plans start at $77.30 per month. Each plan’s exact price will depend on the number of leads you want to get information on.
- Integrates with many different platforms (various CRMs, Google Suite, Zapier, etc.), allowing the information you collect to be directly synced with them
- Automatic lead scoring, meaning you’ll get to see the hottest leads first, right at the top of your dashboard
- Allows creating filtered company feeds and searches for quicker navigation and lead segmentation
- It’s difficult to use when it comes to tracking enterprises, as it’s nearly impossible to find the right person among thousands of employees
- There may be some issues with its data accuracy, as it often fails to precisely identify the company or find the employee you need to contact
- Customer service can be unresponsive to complaints
B2B sales prospecting tools
Their name says it all — these tools are specifically designed with B2B prospecting in mind.
They aim to accommodate the prospecting needs of B2B sales reps, teams, and marketers by providing rich B2B contact info databases.
Here are our reviews of two of these tools:
Cognism is an advanced B2B contact information database with a focus on providing verified business phone numbers.
To be included in Cognism’s database, each phone number has to pass several checks. The platform uses these checks to ensure you get the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Cognism has an average rating of 4.3 on Capterra.
- Provides users with verified B2B mobile numbers and emails of business professionals from around the world
- Helps identify potential prospects early on in their buyer’s journey and recognizes sales trigger events. This enables sales reps to reach out to prospects before their competition gets the chance to
- Integrates with the most widely used CRMs, allowing users to easily share data to their platform of choice
Cognism does not have an off-the-shelf price for its products, as the exact price will depend on a user’s requirements and budget.
Cognism also charges a flat platform fee in addition to the package you opt for.
Cognism doesn’t offer a free trial for any of its packages, but you can book a demo before you buy.
- The databases are updated daily. Check-ups are also done manually.
- It’s pretty simple to use
- Users can request finding or verifying a particular prospect’s phone number or email on-demand
- You have to download a Chrome extension if you want to scrape leads from LinkedIn and LinkedIn Sales Navigator. This is potentially unsafe, and the extension is prone to glitching
- If your outreach is not based on cold calling first and foremost, Cognism will be a waste of money. Phone number identification and verification are its key features
Mattermark is a sales prospecting tool that helps users find and reach out to their prospects by providing a rich information database full of four million companies and relevant decision-makers.
It has no customer rating on any reputable SaaS rating website so far.
- Provides insight into 80 data points, including company firmographics, details about employees, company performance history, jobs and candidate counts, technographics, etc.
- Notifies users whenever it recognizes potential selling opportunities (e.g., a company experiencing sudden growth, or emerging start-ups that are looking for partners, etc.)
Mattermark’s pricing starts at $49 per month.
It also offers a 14-day free trial.
- Data updates are frequent
- Takes note of various buyer intent and dynamic growth signals that help users reach out to their prospects at just the right time
- Has a very outdated and complicated interface
- It is designed for a certain type of business only. This includes venture capital firms, private equity companies, corporate development companies, and recruitment agencies
Email-focused sales prospecting tools
These sales prospecting tools help users by finding and verifying their prospects’ email addresses.
So, if cold email campaigns are your preferred method of reaching out to potential prospects, these tools will be an awesome addition to your overall sales strategy.
Here are our reviews of two of these tools:
Findthat.email is an email discovery and verification tool.
It has an average rating of 4 on Capterra, based on one sole review.
- Bulk email finding and verification options
- A Chrome extension for scraping email addresses directly from social networks
- Integrates with over 500 apps via Zapier
Findthat.email has a free-forever plan that, naturally, has a minimal number of email finding and verification credits.
Its paid-for plans start at $29 per month.
There is no free trial, but you can give the free plan a go and see how its basic functionality works for you.
- Super easy and intuitive to use
- Can find and verify email addresses
- Has plenty of integrations with various platforms to enable easy export and management of the data you collect
- You have to install a Chrome extension to find emails from social media (including LinkedIn)
- As with all email scraping tools, there’s an issue with data accuracy
- It only finds and verifies email addresses of potential prospects. It doesn’t offer other prospecting and outreach features.
#13. Voila Norbert
Voila Norbert is an email scraping and verification tool with a bit of a twist.
In addition to finding email addresses, it also has options for further data enrichment (though these cost extra).
It has an average rating of 4.5 on Capterra.
- Finds and verifies email addresses by using prospects’ full names and their company’s domain name
- Has data enrichment functions, meaning that it can provide further detail on your prospects (e.g., their company, job role, location, and links to social media profiles)
- Uses a Chrome extension for finding email addresses on-site (e.g., on LinkedIn and other social media)
Voila Norbert charges users separately for email finding, verification, and data enrichment, respectively.
If all you need is simple email scraping, Voila Norbert’s pricing starts at $49 per month.
Its email verification is charged $0.003 per email for up to 500,000 emails, while data enrichment is charged $0.040 for up to 2,000 email addresses. The rate goes down as the number of emails goes up.
Voila Norbert also has a free trial — you get 50 email finding credits for free.
- Data enrichment in addition to finding and verifying email addresses
- Its verification and enrichment options are pretty affordable, provided you don’t need too many email addresses verified/enriched
- Again, as with all email-oriented tools, there are problems with data accuracy
- If the tool fails to find an email address for you, you don’t get your email finding credit back
- Needs a Chrome extension for finding emails on-site. This can be an issue on LinkedIn in particular
Google Chrome extensions
Google Chrome extensions, or browser extensions, were the first kind of sales prospecting and automation tools to appear on the market.
They’re usually more affordable compared to cloud-based tools, but they do come at a price of their own:
- They’re potentially unsafe for use on LinkedIn, as LinkedIn bots are more than apt at detecting extensions
- They require your device to be running so they can work properly, whereas cloud-based tools work 24/7 regardless of your device
Be that as it may, users with modest sales prospecting needs and limited budgets can still benefit at least a little from using Chrome extensions.
Here are our reviews of two of these tools:
AeroLeads is a sales prospecting tool with a focus on finding and verifying prospects’ email addresses from various places on the web through its browser extensions.
In addition to having a Chrome extension, AeroLeads has a Firefox extension and a Gmail mail-merge plugin that’s still in beta mode.
It has an average rating of 4.6 on Capterra.
- Finds email addresses on-site thanks to its browser extensions
- Provides a company info database with over 650 million contacts which you can search by applying various filters
- Has some automation options — you can automatically bulk find email addresses from search results on LinkedIn, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, and other websites
AeroLeads has 4 pricing plans, with the price starting at $49 per month for one user.
There’s also a free trial that gives you ten email finding credits.
- It has a free email verifier. In order to use bulk email verification, though, you’ll have to create an AeroLeads account
- It can find and verify email addresses from various websites and social networks that are not US-based (like Xing)
- Suffers from all the aforementioned shortcomings of browser extensions (it’s potentially unsafe, can slow your device down, etc.)
- Unless you have LinkedIn Premium or Sales Navigator, this tool can’t do much for your prospecting on LinkedIn. You’ll need untapped access to LinkedIn’s vast prospect pool to get the most out of AeroLeads
Overloop is a browser extension sales prospecting tool that offers options for email finding and basic CRM on the one hand, and elementary LinkedIn and email campaign automation on the other.
It has an average rating of 4 on Capterra.
- Find email addresses. The Chrome extension enables it to scrape emails directly from LinkedIn profiles and search results
- Can automate email campaigns and track email deliverability
- Offers very basic LinkedIn automation (you can automate profile visits, messages and follow-ups, and connection requests)
Overloop has one pricing plan at $96.50.
However, if you need more than 250 email finder credits (and let’s be honest — you most likely will), it’s charged extra, starting at $38 for an additional 250 credits.
This tool has a 14-day free trial.
- Has basic automation capabilities in addition to email finding
- Combines email and LinkedIn outreach
- Its CRM features are intuitive and easy to use
- It potentially isn’t safe for LinkedIn, as the risk of being restricted skyrockets when you use a browser extension
- It has no email or LinkedIn warm-up functionality. These normally help you increase your response and reply rates
- It’s too expensive for what it has to offer
Final thoughts: Sales prospecting tools
We know this was quite a read, but it was well worth it. Now, you’re equipped with all the valuable information you need on 15 first-class sales prospecting tools.
Each of the software we reviewed has its strengths and weaknesses, and each excels at something. So you won’t be wrong in choosing any tool featured on our list.
However, if LinkedIn is your preferred prospecting platform — and it should be, as more than 80% of qualified B2B leads originate from LinkedIn alone — make sure to choose a tool that:
- Keeps you safe at all times, so you don’t get banned from LinkedIn
- Can automate entire sequences and create hyper-personalized campaigns
- Has options for targeting group members, event attendees, or LinkedIn users who’ve engaged with a relevant post
- Accommodates the needs of individuals, sales teams, and agencies with equal efficiency so that it works for you even as you scale
One sales prospecting tool ticks all these boxes: Expandi.
But don’t just take our word for it.